Warning – Anecdote

On the fourth of February, I bought the concert ticket to Sunmi’s first world tour called “Warning” the minute they went on sale. It was expensive, but for such a rare and ideal situation, I knew it would be worth it when the time came. My friend got a ticket as well, and we both were extremely happy. Every day, I would see the event listing and smile, knowing I would soon meet one of the people I’m so inspired by and admire so much. Since Calgary isn’t the most well known city, I was very shocked to find that the artist would visit and perform here, especially since it was her first world tour. Weeks passed quicker than I expected, the date of the concert getting closer day by day.

On the date of the concert, I walked to the venue, the Palace Theater in downtown Calgary, with my friend and we waited for about an hour outside in freezing cold  weather. At 6:10 pm, my friend and I were separated and I went into the venue because I got a more expensive ticket that let me go into the venue earlier and get to high five the artist. The employees scanned my ticket and I made my way to the stage. I had found a decent spot in the crowd of people, about five people behind the front of the stage, and I eagerly waited for the concert to start.

It was seven pm on March 13, 2019, when I saw one of my biggest role models walk onto the Palace Theater’s stage. I was so used to admiring her through screens and cheering for her from the other side of the world that it didn’t feel real at first. I couldn’t believe that I was so lucky and I had this amazing chance to see her, especially since she lives so far away from Canada. I cheered so loudly that my throat began to hurt and get scratchy. I recorded many songs and took pictures on my phone, wanting to savor the little time I could see her for. The bass in the music boomed, and I could feel my chest thump with every note. It was the most energized and excited I had felt in a long time.

The concert was coming to an end, and the artist did an encore of one of her songs to end it off. She exited the stage, and the people with less expensive tickets were told to leave the venue. After everyone had left, the staff started lining the remaining people up for the meet and greet and high five. I was waiting in line and I became friends with the girl who was sitting next to me in line since we both came to the concert by ourselves. About 10 minutes later, the line began to move slowly. I was fairly close to the front of the line, so a couple minutes later I was a few steps away from giving the artist a high five. I made my way to the table she was at, and I gave her a high five. She held my hands and as I passed by her, I told her I love her and she said she loves me too while smiling brightly. I freaked out afterwards with the girl who was next to me in the line, and as it was getting late I went home and slept.

I’ve been happy since, remembering I was able to meet Lee Sun-mi, one of my biggest role models and someone I’ve looked up to for a long time. I was extremely lucky to be able to see one of my favorite artists live and in person, especially since Calgary isn’t the most well known places. I took the chance when I had it, and I don’t regret anything.

2 thoughts on “Warning – Anecdote

1. Dear Caitlyn,

I love how you portrayed your excitement through this piece. It was as if I was experiencing this journey with you. Even though I do not know this artist, it was easy to relate that feeling to people that I idolize. My favorite part of this piece would have to be your description of the high five. It completed the story in my opinion, because you finally reached your goal. If I am to provide feedback, I would tell you to avoid repeating phrases. I understand that the entire piece was about you meeting your idol, but you used the phrases, “favorite artist” and “biggest role model” too much. What else describes her? How did she look like up close?

Regardless, I truly enjoyed reading your piece, and am happy that your experience went so well.

Sincerely,
    Nazeefa

1. Dear Nazeefa,

Thank you for your feedback! I’ll be sure to watch out for repetitive phrases in my writing in the future. I’m glad you liked reading it!

Sincerely,
      Caitlyn